Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Force Unleashed for iPod Touch/iPhone.

I just played The Force Unleashed Demo for my iPod Touch. I thought to myself, 'Wow, I get to use force powers to fight my enemies', should be interesting to say the least. First, the game asks me if I want to enable sound or not. I go and grab my headphones, put them on and hit yes. I don't hear anything. I guess there is no music on the opening screen, oh well. I can't wait to hear the intense fight music! The game begins with talking to Darth Vader, no voice acting, still no sound, no music. After five minutes of pointless dialog, he sends me on a mission. I have to kill a Jedi and everyone on the Jedi's ship, awesome. I get onto my ship and I meet my captain. Our dialog consists of asking him 'Do you know why you are here?', the caption responds, 'To fly your ship wherever you want.' I am very impressed with the script witting on this one, it must have taken months to come up with a plot line that thick! So I go down a hallway after talking to the captain and, I enable a training mode. Cool, I get to learn my force powers now, this is gonna be "hot". After a couple minutes of learning how to throw boxes, throw people, heal and use Jedi(Sith?) Mind Tricks, I am done with training. Still no music, only a very quite sound when I do a force power. After the training ends, it turns out I am at my destination. I guess it is time to take out the Jedi, and his ship's crew. I can't wait to get my Lightsaber out.

Once I get off my ship, I am automatically moved to my location where I am do first use my force powers. The game moved me automatically , apparently, in this game, the only control you have over your character is using force powers, no ability to move freely. My first task is to deal with a stack of boxes. After moving the boxes, the game takes over again and moves me to the next location. Where, I run into some guys I need to fight, I kill them all by throwing them, and move into the next room. More of the same guys, more throwing...rinse and repeat for 10 minutes. At this point, I am thinking, when do I get to use my lightsaber? I am moved into a giant room with stairs, after fighting through six or so enemies, my character runs up the stairs, so he is so small he is about the size of a letter on your standard book page, I still have to kill off two guys. Though, I can't even see myself, or them. After finishing them off, I run into the last room. Standing there I see the Jedi I must kill. Okay, now it's time for lightsaber duels. He pulls his lightsaber out, I have mine out and, and the battle begins! We throw boxes at each other for the next 10 minutes. Eventually, I throw enough boxes at him, and it triggers a cut scene where I walk up to him and kill him. Wow, an epic duel...with boxes. This is where the demo ends, asking if you would like to buy the full game. Though, I love the idea of throwing people and boxes for 10 dollars for the next hour or so, I passed.

Overall, the game was bad. There was no music what-so-ever. Maybe it was because I have an iPod Touch, and not an iPhone, though, there was some faint sound coming out of my headphones, so I know the sound wasn't off. The game consists of making them same gesture on the screen until everything is dead, then moving to the next room and doing it over and over. The battle at the end was stupid, I know when I think of a Sith/Jedi battle it consists only of throwing boxes at each other, isn't that what the majority of the fight scenes in the movie consisted of? Right?. I understand there is limited capability on the iPhone/iPod Touch, but seriously, I have played free games much better than this. I would not recommend this game by any means. If the whole game is like the demo, it isn't worth the download space, let alone the money it costs. The demo it self is boring. I am sure you can find something better to do with your time than play this.

No comments:

Post a Comment