Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Batman: Arkham Asylum, Hubba Hubba Hubba, Who do you trust?


I bought into the hype of the "Guiness Book of World Records Most Critically Acclaimed video game" and got my hands on a copy of Batman: Arkham Asylum for PS3. I may be a few months late to the party, but the dust has settled and I wanted to find out for myself. I played a demo at the local video game retailer earlier in the summer and was somewhat confused. All I was experiencing at the kiosk was a button mashing brawler. I had my fun for 3 minutes, thought I understood what the game was about then went to the used PS2 game bin to check for copies of "Super Trucks Racing" for $1.99. A month or two closer to the game's release date, I downloaded the PS3 demo and got a little more in depth and found there was an art to the button mashing and detective mode/sneaking/puzzle solving elements I wasn't able to uncover in my previous Batman: AA experience. I was hooked, but low on funds and trying to clear my gaming schedule for another triple A release coming up in the fall.

Christmas came and went, and a copy of Batman: AA found its way under my tree. With little hesitation I hit the eject button and send MW2 shooting across the room. I put Batman in the PS3 and embarked on one of the most entertaining and fulfilling video game journeys in my time. The opening sequence sets the tone and pulls the player into a story he or she would want to play to the end. Once the ball gets rolling the player takes control of Batman and creeps,skulks,swings,crawls and brawls through various areas of Arkham in search of the Joker. The game utilizes a "Detective Mode" mechanic that uncovers clues and hints that the naked eye would not find. This implementation is crucial to following the trail left by an enemy or citizen in need of assistance. It also uncovers other objectives such as; Riddler Trophies hidden in every area of the map, Riddler puzzles, which are riddles that are solved by using the Detective Mode option and "scanning the scene", locations of Interview tapes, which add back story and content to characters mentioned in the game and other normally unseen elements like secret walls that can be broken.

The free flow fight system may seem like mindless spamming of the square button, but after some experimenting and practice the player can control the chaos of a fight but precisely timed button presses,direction cues, and using the other face buttons to perform a long combo
that chains moves together to keep Batman bouncing around the screen from enemy to enemy. This experience really puts the player in Batman's cape and cowl. I personally felt like a complete bad ass stringing together 20+ hits on enemies and clearing a room. After you master the system you can dictate the tempo of every encounter and escape almost everything unscathed, just remember the counter attack button is your friend.

On top of the engaging story mode, there are challenge modes to play. The player has the options to sneak around a level in the shortest time possible, other maps where the player has 4 rounds to defeat a wave of enemies and other variants. These add another complete game and an arena to practice your free flow fight skills. I am still chasing the trophy for 40+ combo. I reached 36, I know I can get to 40 and these challenge modes will keep me playing now that I finished the story.

I can only bring to light one down side to this game, length. I realize that if all trophies are found, all riddles are solved, all upgrades are made,significant time to exploring and playing the game are added. However, the end came very abruptly. I was telling Egan that I would beat the game by the weekend, expecting only to play an hour or so a night 2 or 3 nights this week. I ended up only have 45 minutes or so left, and didn't realize it was the end. I will keep this
spoiler free, but will just say you won't realize it is over until the credits roll. The game leaves you hanging on, waiting on a new objective to be added.

After all was said and done, I highly recommend this game. It is still $59.99 new, if you can afford it and look to add a solid game with replay value its worth it. The used market is still a bit expensive, I saw it for $54.99. If you can hold out until it drops to $49.99 new or
$39.99 used in the next 6 months, make your move. This is a must have for any gamer.


No comments:

Post a Comment