Sunday, December 20, 2009

Steam Weekly Top 10 - 12/20/09

Starting today, each Sunday, I will do a weekly recap of the most popular games on Steam. Note the (-) next to every game, that is where it's last week spot will go, since this is the first week that I am doing this, there is nothing to put there.

10. Dragon Age: Origins(-)

Rounding out the top ten is Dragon Age: Origins, as you may have read, I am a huge fan of this game. I completed the game about a week or so ago and I would highly recommend the game to anyone who likes Fantasy RPG games. I should have a full on postmortem on the game coming fairly soon.

9. Global Agenda(-)

I always enjoy when a game that has yet to be released breaks it way into the top 10. I haven't seen much about Global Agenda, but it seems interesting. It is another post-apocalyptic game, after the third world war, society is on the verge of destruction, and is controlled by a very oppressive government. The game offers co-op and multi-player, but also has a single player campaign. I will continue to monitor the game and keep everyone posted on the upcoming developments on the game.

8. Borderlands(-)

Borderlands continues to stay in the top ten, it's been doing very well, and with the recent release of their DLC, The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned, the game is just getting more buyers. As I have stated before, I will most likely be getting this game in the coming weeks. The game looks very good, it may be the first successful FPS/Action-RPG/Dungeon Crawler. I am interested to see the continuing DLC and community support this game gets.

7. The Last Remnant(-)

It's rare to see a Square Enix RPG in the top ten of a PC list, but The Last Remnant has done it. Like Global Agenda I don't know a lot about this game. It looks interesting though, my guess is if you typically like Square Enix games, this will be a good game for you. I will read more on it in the coming days and have some opinions for it.

6. Star Wars The Force Unleashed: Ultimate Sith Edition(-)

The original version of The Force Unleashed did very well. Though, I heard that the PC version was very buggy. I assume, this newer version includes a large amount of bug fixes, as well as, the DLC that was not available for PC. I never ended up picking up The Force Unleashed, but I was always interested enough to keep an eye on it. I may end up picking up this Ultimate Sith Edition, provided, the bugs were fixed. I can only imagine that the PC/Console versions of the game is nothing like the iPhone version.

5. Team Fortress 2(-)

If you ask me, Team Fortress 2 was one of the best games that have been released in the last 5 years. You have to love a team based FPS, that has a complete sense of humor about itself. Valve has given the game another major update with the Solider and Demoman patch. They added three new weapons for each class, and a complete story line to go with the update. On top of that, the game is on sale for 10 dollars. Valve keeps the game fresh and updated for free, I highly recommend picking this game up.

4. Counter-Strike: Source(-)

Honestly, I am not sure how this game stays in the top ten. Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, and one of the most popular games of all time. I just figured by now, that the majority of people who were going to get the game, have gotten it already. At least, enough people for the game not to show up in the top ten still. I am very interested to know who is still buying Counter-Strike: Source, and where they were 4 years ago. Needless to say, if you don't have this game, it's worth picking up.I will admit, I am bad at it, but it's still fun to play from time to time.

3. Torchlight(-)

This game may be the sleeper hit of the year. I did a quick review of the demo a couple weeks back, if you haven't read it, I recommend it. I recently purchased the game, and it's everything that I expected. Very fun, very addicting, and on sale for $10.00. The game was just updated with 60+ new achievements on Steam, and Steam Cloud support. If you do not know what Steam Cloud is, it allows saved game data, and settings to be held online, so you can play across multiple computers without having to transfer save files. It's great for me, since I will be playing on both my desktop and my netbook. If you haven't gotten the game yet, I highly recommend picking it up today while it is on sale.

2. Left 4 Dead 2(-)

I played Left 4 Dead, I enjoyed it, but didn't end up playing nearly enough to warrant getting L4D2. If I played L4D a lot, I would absolutely get L4D2. The game looks great, the addition of melee weapons is a nice touch. There isn't much more here that needs to be said, other than it's the 3rd appearance by a Valve game on the top ten, which shouldn't surprise anyone since Valve runs Steam.

1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2(-)

This juggernaut continues to dominate PC and console gaming purchases. I don't foresee it stopping any time soon either. I am yet to get the game, mainly because I am bad at it, but Kyle has it and loves the shit out of it. For all of your dickheads who were boycotting it, good work, I can tell it is working. With that said, I still enjoy the fact that half of the Steam "Boycott MW2" was playing Modern Warfare 2 the day it was released, this is why gaming boycotts don't do shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment