Thursday, February 4, 2010

Fallout: New Vegas, Mass Effect 1 and More

So today, Bethesda released the first trailer for Fallout: New Vegas. Since it is a teaser, it's all about generating hype, and trust me, it's working. I am a huge fan of many of Bethesda's games, as I have said before, I love The Elder Scrolls Series, and I really enjoyed Fallout 3. I look forward to seeing what Fallout: New Vegas brings. As much as I loved Fallout 3, there are some things that could be improved upon. The first of which is a larger world, sure, Fallout 3 had a pretty decent sized world, but it was by no means huge. I am hoping for a giant world where there are insane amounts to explore. What I would also like to see are longer side quests, that span much of the world. Part of what made Oblivion so amazing was the long side quests for the fighters, mages and thieves guilds, and the Dark Brotherhood, Fallout 3 was missing those types of quests, the majority of them were short, with two to three steps max, and there wasn't a major story to any of them. The only one that compared was the Outland Survival Guide quest line, which was fun as hell, but was lacking an large overlapping story behind it. I hope that New Vegas brings some of those elements into the Fallout world. Fallout 3 was my favorite game from 2008, so if New Vegas is just as good, I will be happy man, but, I can't imagine Bethesda sitting on their hands and not make major improvements. You can watch the trailer here.

This week I also finished Mass Effect...the original. I know, Mass Effect 2 just came out, but I figured I needed to finish the original before I moved on. I have been working on Mass Effect for over a year now. The first third of the game really pulled me in. Then, while playing the middle of the game it lost me. I would spend time here and there playing, but I would stop playing for months at a time. A week or so before Mass Effect 2 came out I decided that I needed to finish the game, I pushed through what I had left in the middle of the game, and made it all the way to the final third of the game. It was worth it, the story is amazing, and pulled me back in. I should be getting Mass Effect 2 in the coming weeks and I will pick up where I left off. I highly recommend Mass Effect.

I have a couple games that I have been considering. I have been thinking of getting Borderlands for a while now, I have heard some good things about it, and some have told me to wait until I can get it on sale. I still plan to pick it up eventually, just not sure when. I also am debating which system, I don't have a ton of friends who have it on any of the systems. I will most likely get the best deal through Steam on PC, but if I had a group of people to play with on xbox, I would consider getting it there. I am also eyeing Darksiders. In Darksiders, you play War, of the four horseman of the apocalypse fame, someone accidentally triggered the apocalypse early, and your leader has betrayed you. So, you get to run around with your horse and slay darkspawn, sounds pretty damn sweet if you ask me. This is console only, so I won't find a deal on it any time soon. Finally, the other game I am considering is Dante's Inferno, I played the Demo over Kyle's and it was pretty fun. It felt a little repetitive, but I enjoyed myself. It is rife with quicktime events though, which I am not a huge fan of, so we will see. Reminds me of what God of War seems to be.

Speaking of Darkspawn, I am very excited for Dragon Age: Origins Awakening, the first expansion for Dragon Age: Origins, I look forward to seeing what is in store in that. I also need to pick up the 2 current DLC that are already out for DA:O, I may start the game again in a month or two, with the DLC and bring that save into the expansion.

No comments:

Post a Comment