Monday, March 1, 2010

Playstation 3: Rise of the Machines?

10 years ago the world was a few months removed from the Y2K bug
shutting down the Earth and bring us back to the dark ages, and a couple
years past August 29,1997 when Skynet becomes self aware and robots take
over the world. Everyone was happy they purchased 6 months of non
perishable goods, and built bomb shelters in anticipation of the end of
the world. Everyone probably still has expired Prem canned ham, and
gallons of water because that day never came. Computer glitches were
fixed with no incident, until February 28, 2010. The day PSN became self
aware.
Sony officially states that there is a bug in the clock functionality
incorporated in the PS3 system. In other words, their date and clock
broke. I turned my 80 gig PS3 fat on and played a PS2 title for a couple
of hours, at the end of my gaming session I decided to check out who was
playing on PSN and possibly join into a game. I got an error saying that
I could not connect to the network because of an Error Code 8001050F. I
figured I needed to reset my modem and router. After that did not work,
I picked up my cell phone and used the web browser to find out what
8001050F means, and how to fix it.
The most recent headlines at that time informed me that the 8001050F
code means the system is bricked. I searched around more and found out
the 8001050F problem was network wide for the Fat models and not the
newer PS3 Slims. Today Sony has released very little information about
this crippling problem. Internet related games (including, Demon Souls,
Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer) , trophy enabled games, downloaded games,
and Heavy Rain are all left unplayable. Sony suggests just keeping the
system off until this problem is resolved, by their hopefully estimated
expectation of Tuesday morning.
As a veritable Sony Fan Boy this takes the wind out my sails. I can't
gloat about having a free network service. The response from now on will
be "You get what you pay for, 8001050F TW!" This raises a question, to
me at least, would paying a monthly or yearly subscription safe guard
against 10 year old glitches that almost stopped the world? With extra
income, would Sony be able to have programmers fix bugs, or test for
them first with more resources? Would Sony be able to apologize to all
of us by giving us a discount for the month, or some DLC or something
as a make up present?
I doubt this really is any writing on the wall in bold black paint
that PSN is a mess and needs to be restructured, but this makes me
have less faith that I can even turn on my PS3 now with out worrying
about a glitch. Will I have to check out blogs, message boards, and Sony
Press releases before I pick my my controller, just to make sure I don't
damage or corrupt any data or files? I hope not

No comments:

Post a Comment